This blog is now archived. View blogs for the HBOS Graduate Schemes 2009


Wednesday 5 September 2007

A bit about me...

Hi there, just a short one this week – I thought in this blog I would outline a bit of my background and why I chose to work for HBOS.

I started working for HBOS at the end of 2004 in Retail IT on the IT Rapid Graduate Programme. I had come straight from university at Loughborough from doing an engineering degree and before that my A-Levels.

I managed to fit a bit of travelling between graduation and starting work towards the end of the year – it was great to have a long summer knowing that all the hassle of getting a job had been sorted!

I didn't have any prior experience in the IT/finance industry especially but I liked what I had learnt about HBOS and believed the IT/Technology scheme was for me.

I had started the application process pretty early in 2004, towards the end of my final year at university I was in the very fortunate position of having a couple of offers from different companies – in the end I chose HBOS because of the company culture and the opportunities available.

From my assessment days and follow-on events I had opportunities to learn what the company was really like and the quality of people who work here. I didn't necessarily get the same good 'feelings' from the other companies. You really are valued as an employee here and the culture is very open. For me it was one of the deciding factors, in conjunction with the quality of the development programme that made me pick HBOS.

I would recommend making the most of any assessment days/ events/ interviews etc to dig deeper into what the company is really like and understand its culture and working environment.

Andrew

No comments: